LESSON STUDY IN HIGH SCHOOLS IN EA H'LEO DISTRICT, DAK LAK PROVINCE WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF EDUCATIONAL INNOVATION: THE RELATIONSHIP WITH TEACHERS' PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Corresponding Author(s) : Dinh Thi Hong Van
UED Journal of Social Sciences, Humanities and Education,
Vol. 11 No. 1 (2021): UED Journal of Social Sciences, Humanities and Education (UED-JSHE)
Lesson study is a model of teacher training which has been widely applied in high schools in recent years. This study aimed to investigate the practice of lesson study and its role to teachers’ professional development in meeting the requirements of educational innovation. A survey was conducted with a group of 217 high school managers and teachers in Ea H'Leo district, Dak Lak province. The research methods in use were questionnaires and interviews. The findings revealed that lesson study, in general, was implemented effectively in high schools in Ea H'Leo district, Dak Lak. The requirements in each step were basically well-met. However, there still existed some elements of traditional professional activities in the current practice of lesson study. The research results also showed the positive impact of lesson study on high school teachers’ professional development. The findings lead to the fact that high schools need to promote the implementation of lesson study and ensure the conditions required for conductinglesson study.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Ansawi, B., & Pang, V. (2017). The Relationship between Professional Learning Community and Lesson Study: A Case Study in Low Performing Schools in Sabah, Malaysia. Sains Humanika, 9(1–3). https://doi.org/10.11113/sh.v9n1-3.1144
- British Council. (2015). Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Framework for teachers.
- Fang, Y., & Lee, C. (2010). Lesson Study and Instructional Improvement in Singapore. National Institute of Education.
- Fernandez, C., & Chokshi, S. (2002). A Practical Guide to Translating Lesson Study for a U.S. Setting. Phi Delta Kappan, 84(2), 128–134. https://doi.org/10.1177/003172170208400208
- Fernandez, C., & Yoshida, M. (2004). Lesson study: A Japanese approach to improving mathematics teaching and learning. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Fernandez, M. L. (2005). Exploring “Lesson Study” in Teacher Preparation. In H. L. Chick & J. L. Vincent (Eds.), Proceedings of the 29th Conference of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (Vol. 2, pp. 305–312).
- Isoda, M. (2007). Where did Lesson Study Begin, and How Far Has It Come? In M. Isoda, M. Stephens, Y. Ohara, & T. Miyakawa, Japanese Lesson Study in Mathematics. World Scientific.
- Kwakman, K. (2003). Factors affecting teachers’ participation in professional learning activities. Teaching and Teacher Education, 19(2), 149–170. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0742-051X(02)00101-4
- Lawrence, I. (2005). Getting professional development right. In Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER), Using Data to Support Learning (Conference Proceedings) (pp. 63–71).
- Lee, J. F. K. (2008). A Hong Kong case of lesson study-Benefits and concerns. Teaching and Teacher Education, 24(5), 1115–1124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2007.10.007
- Lewis, C. (2009). What is the nature of knowledge development in lesson study? Educational Action Research, 17(1), 95–110. https://doi.org/10.1080/09650790802667477
- Lewis, C., Perry, R., Hurd, J., & O’Connell, M. P. (2006). Lesson Study Comes of Age in North America. Phi Delta Kappan, 88(4), 273–281. https://doi.org/10.1177/003172170608800406
- Lieberman, J. (2009). Reinventing teacher professional norms and identities: The role of lesson study and learning communities. Professional Development in Education, 35(1), 83–99. https://doi.org/10.1080/13674580802264688
- Liu, S., Hallinger, P., & Feng, D. (2016). Learning-centered leadership and teacher learning in China: Does trust matter? Journal of Educational Administration, 54(6), 661–682. https://doi.org/10.1108/JEA-02-2016-0015
- OECD. (2009). Creating Effective Teaching and Learning Environments: First Results from TALIS.
- Rock, T. C., & Wilson, C. (2005). Improving Teaching through Lesson Study. Teacher Education Quarterly, 32(1), 77–92.
- Vietnam Central Executive Committee. (2013). Resolution No. 29/NQ - Fundamental and comprehensive innovation of education and training to meet the requirements of industrialization and modernization in the condition of socialist-oriented market economy and international integration (Nghị quyết số 29/NQ- về đổi mới căn bản, toàn diện giáo dục và đào tạo đáp ứng yêu cầu công nghiệp hoá, hiện đại hoá trong điều kiện kinh tế thị trường định hướng xã hội chủ nghĩa và hội nhập quốc tế).
- Vietnam Ministry of Education and Training. (2014). Official dispatch No.5555/BGDĐT-GDTrH on holding professional activities about reforming methods of teaching, learning, testing and assessment; organizing and managing regularly professional activities of high schools/centers of continuing education online (Công văn 5555/BGDĐT-GDTrH về việc hướng dẫn sinh hoạt chuyên môn về đổi mới phương pháp dạy học và kiểm tra, đánh giá; tổ chức và quản lý các hoạt động chuyên môn của trường trung học/trung tâm giáo dục thường xuyên qua mạng).
- Vietnam Ministry of Education and Training. (2017). Official dispatch No. 4612/BGDĐT-GDTrH on guiding the implementation of the current high school program towards capacity and quality development since academic year 2017-2018 (Công văn 4612/BGDĐT-GDTrH về việc hướng dẫn thực hiện chương trình giáo dục phổ thông hiện hành theo định hướng phát triển phầm chất và năng lực học sinh từ năm 2017-2018).
- Vietnam Ministry of Education and Training. (2018). The High school program - The overall program (Chương trình Giáo dục phổ thông – Chương trình tổng thể).
- Vietnam Ministry of Education and Training. (2019). Training materials for key managerial staff at high schools - Module: Administration of teaching, learning, and educational activities in high schools (Tài liệu bồi dưỡng cán bộ quản lý cơ sở giáo dục phổ thông cốt cán mô đun: Quản trị hoạt động dạy học, giáo dục trong trường THPT).
- Vietnam Ministry of Education and Training. (2020). Official dispatch No. 1315/BGDĐT/GDTH on guiding the implementation of professional activities for the General education program, primary level on 16/4/2020 (Công văn 1315/BGDĐT/GDTH về việc hướng dẫn sinh hoạt chuyên môn thực hiện Chương trình giáo dục phổ thông cấp Tiểu học ngày 16/4/2020).
- Villegas-Reimers, E. (2003). Teacher Professional Development: An International Review of the Literature. UNESCO International Institute for Educational Planning.
- Yarema, C. H. (2010). Mathematics Teachers’ Views of Accountability Testing Revealed through Lesson Study. Mathematics Teacher Education and Development, 12(1), 3–18.