THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SOCIAL EMOTIONAL COMPETENCE AND THE RISK OF MENTAL DISORDER AMONG STUDENTS
Corresponding Author(s) : Vo Van Ngoc Huy
UED Journal of Social Sciences, Humanities and Education,
Vol. 11 No. 1 (2021): UED Journal of Social Sciences, Humanities and Education (UED-JSHE)
This research aims to identify the relationship between social-emotional competence and the risk of mental disorders among Students. The study was conducted with 400 students in Ho Chi Minh city, using the Social Emotional-Competence Questionnaire (SECQ) and the Depression Anxiety Stress Scale (DASS 21) as the main data collection tools. The results revealed a medium negative correlation between the social-emotional competence and the risk of mental disorder among the participating students.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Association, A. P. (1994). Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition.
- Ciarrochi, J., Scott, G., Deane, F. P., & Heaven, P. C. L. (2003). Relations between social and emotional competence and mental health: A construct validation study. Personality and Individual Differences, 35(8), 1947–1963. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(03)00043-6
- Durlak, J. A., Weissberg, R. P., Dymnicki, A. B., Taylor, R. D., & Schellinger, K. B. (2011). The impact of enhancing students’ social and emotional learning: A meta-analysis of school-based universal interventions. Child Development, 82(1), 405–432. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2010.01564.x
- Durlak, J. A., & Wells, A. M. (1997). Primary Prevention Mental Health Programs: The Future is Exciting. American Journal of Community Psychology, 25(2), 233–243. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024674631189
- Goodman, A., Joshi, H., Nasim, B., & Tyler, C. (2015). Social and emotional skills in childhood and their long-term effects on adult life. University College London.
- McCuin, D. (2012). Teachers working with social emotional competence: Students’ perspectives on the positive effects [Dissertation]. Colorado State University.
- Tran, T. (2007). Mental disorder - Illness of the modern life (Rối nhiễu tâm trí - Bệnh thời hiện đại). Health and Life Newspaper, 26.
- World Health Organization. (2003). Investing in mental health. World Health Organization.