TRAINING PROCESS OF FORMATIVE ASSESSMENT SKILLS FOR PRE-SERVICE BIOLOGY TEACHERS AT UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND EDUCATION, THE UNIVERSITY OF DANANG
Corresponding Author(s) : Nguyen Thi Hai Yen
UED Journal of Social Sciences, Humanities and Education,
Vol. 11 No. 1 (2021): UED Journal of Social Sciences, Humanities and Education (UED-JSHE)
Formative assessment can be seen as an integral part of teaching and learning since this type of assessment has a positive impact on teaching and learning quality. A focus on forming and developing formative assessment skills for pre-service teachers is highly necessary in the context of innovating teaching towards capacity and quality development. This article presents the training process to foster awareness and skills of formative assessment for pre-service Biology teachers at University of Science and Education, the University of Danang. This process is formed based on the analysis of the literature on formative assessment and the curriculum of the Biology Teacher Education program at the university, and also on the consultation with educational experts for higher feasibility. The training process consists of three stages, which are mainly carried out in the Testing and Evaluation in Teaching Biology module and partlyincorporated in the Teaching Practicum module.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Bell, B., & Cowie, B. (2001). The characteristics of formative assessment in science education. Science Education, 85(5), 536–553.
- Black, P., & Wiliam, D. (1998). Assessment and Classroom Learning. Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Practice, 5(1), 7–74. https://doi.org/10.1080/0969595980050102
- Black, P., & Wiliam, D. (2009). Developing the theory of formative assessment. Educational Assessment, Evaluation and Accountability(Formerly: Journal of Personnel Evaluation in Education), 21(1), 5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11092-008-9068-5
- Brinko, K. T. (1993). The Practice of Giving Feedback to Improve Teaching. The Journal of Higher Education, 64(5), 574–593. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221546.1993.11778449
- Brookhart, S. M. (2011). Educational assessment knowledge and skills for teachers. Educational Measurement: Issues and Practice, 30(1), 3–12.
- Buck, G. A., Trauth‐Nare, A., & Kaftan, J. (2010). Making formative assessment discernable to pre‐service teachers of science. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 47(4), 402–421.
- Christoforidou, M., Kyriakides, L., Antoniou, P., & Creemers, B. P. M. (2014). Searching for stages of teacher’s skills in assessment. Studies in Educational Evaluation, 40, 1–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.stueduc.2013.11.006
- Cisterna, D., & Gotwals, A. W. (2018). Enactment of Ongoing Formative Assessment: Challenges and Opportunities for Professional Development and Practice. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 29(3), 200–222. https://doi.org/10.1080/1046560X.2018.1432227
- Cowie, B., & Bell, B. (1999). A Model of Formative Assessment in Science Education. Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Practice, 6(1), 101–116. https://doi.org/10.1080/09695949993026
- Govaerts, M. (2015). Workplace-Based Assessment and Assessment for Learning: Threats to Validity. J Grad Med Educ, 7(2), 265–267.
- Graham, P. (2005). Classroom-based assessment: Changing knowledge and practice through preservice teacher education. Teaching and Teacher Education, 21(6), 607–621.
- Heritage, M., Kim, J., Vendlinski, T., & Herman, J. (2009). From evidence to action: A seamless process in formative assessment? Educational Measurement: Issues and Practice, 28(3), 24–31. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-3992.2009.00151.x
- Nguyen, T. H. Y, Ngo, H. V & P. D. D. (2020). Writing the rubric for measuring formative assessment skills of pre-service Biology teachers (Xây dựng bộ tiêu chí để đo lường kỹ năng đánh giá quá trình cho sinh viên ngành sư phạm Sinh học). T Hue University Journal of Science: Social Sciences and Humanities, 129(6D), 119–129.
- Popham, W. J. (2008). Transformative Assessment. Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Sadler, D. R. (1989). Formative assessment and the design of instructional systems. Instructional Science, 18(2), 119–144.
- Schafer, W. D. (1991). Essential assessment skills in professional education of teachers. Educational Measurement: Issues and Practice, 10(1), 3–6.
- Shepard, L. A. (1995). Using Assessment to Improve Learning. Educational Leadership, 52(5), 38–43.
- Sluijsmans, D. M. A., Brand-Gruwel, S., & van Merriënboer, J. J. G. (2002). Peer Assessment Training in Teacher Education: Effects on performance and perceptions. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 27(5), 443–454. https://doi.org/10.1080/0260293022000009311
- Stiggins, R. (2010). Essential formative assessment competencies for teachers and school leaders. Handbook of Formative Assessment, 233–250.
- Stiggins, R. J. (1999). Evaluating classroom assessment training in teacher education programs. Educational Measurement: Issues and Practice, 18(1), 23–27.
- Vietnam Ministry of Education and Training. (2018). The overall program (Chương trình tổng thể).
- Vietnam Ministry of Education and Training. (2020). Circular No. 26/2020/BGDDT Changes and complements to Regulations of assessing and classifying secondary school students, which are issued with Circular No.58/2011/TT-BGDĐT on 12/12/2011 by the Minister (Thông tư 26/2020/BGDDT Sửa đổi, bổ sung một số điều của Quy chế đánh giá, xếp loại học sinh trung học cơ sở và học sinh trung học phổ thông ban hành kèm theo Thông tư số 58/2011/TT-BGDĐT ngày 12 tháng 12 năm 2011 của Bộ trưởng Bộ Giáo dục và Đào tạo).
- Widiastuti, I. A. M. S., Mukminatien, N., Prayogo, J. A., & Irawati, E. (2020). Dissonances between teachers’ beliefs and practices of formative assessment in EFL classes. International Journal of Instruction, 13(1), 71–84. https://doi.org/10.29333/iji.2020.1315a
- Wragg, E. C. (2005). The art and science of teaching and learning: The selected works of Ted Wragg. Routledge.
- Wulf, G., Shea, C., & Lewthwaite, R. (2010). Motor skill learning and performance: a review of influential factors. Medical Education, 44(1), 75–84.