KIEU THANH QUE AND HIS MONOGRAPH “LITERARY CRITICISM”
Corresponding Author(s) : Le Quoc Hieu
UED Journal of Social Sciences, Humanities and Education,
Vol. 11 No. 1 (2021): UED Journal of Social Sciences, Humanities and Education (UED-JSHE)
The literary legacy of the writer Kiều Thanh Quế can be considered a “fertile land” and an “opening structure” which suggest/require numerous interpretations and judgments. Understanding Kieu Thanh Que’s essential contributions to the formation of theoretical fundamentals of literary criticism helps re-evaluate his role and position in Vietnamese literature of the first half 20th century, especially in literary criticism - Kieu Thanh Que’s most dynamic and productive area of work. This article aims to: 1, introduce his monograph Literary Criticism; 2, point out several features of Kieu Thanh Que’s reasoning and critical thinking; and then 3. highlight his contributions to literary criticism of Vietnamese literature over the period 1932-1945. Contextualizing his book Literary Criticism in such early stage of literary criticism allows us to see clearly how he contributed with his ability to recognize and represent some theoretical and current issues in the field of literary criticism.
- Bang, G. (1974). Pieces of historical literature (Mảnh vụn văn học sử). Chan Luu.
- Kieu, T. Q. (1942). Literary criticism (Phê bình văn học). Tan Viet.
- Kieu, T. Q., Nguyen, H. S., & Phan, M. H. (2009). The evolution of Vietnamese literature - The collection of literary critiques (Cuộc tiến hóa văn học Việt Nam - Tuyển tập khảo cứu phê bình)]. Thanh nien.
- Nguyen, P. T. (2020). Kieu Thanh Que and traditional culture and literature (Kiều Thanh Quế với văn hóa - Văn học truyền thống dân tộc). Journal of Social Sciences, 1+2 (257+258), 102-112.
- Tran, T. M. H. (2018). Kieu Thanh Que and Western schools of literary criticism (Kiều Thanh Quế với các trường phái phê bình văn học phương Tây). Ho Chi Minh City University of Education Journal of Science. 15(11), 89-98.
- Trinh, B. D. (2016). History of Vietnamese literary criticism theories (Lịch sử lý luận phê bình văn học Việt Nam). Vietnam National University, Hanoi.