THE TENDENCY OF MODERNIZATION IN TAN DA’S LITERATURE - VIEWED FROM A GENRE PERSPECTIVE
Corresponding Author(s) : Le Thanh Son
UED Journal of Social Sciences, Humanities and Education,
Vol. 11 No. 1 (2021): UED Journal of Social Sciences, Humanities and Education (UED-JSHE)
During the first 30 years of the twentieth century, Vietnamese literature began to enter the period of restructuring in the direction of modernization. This process occurred in the conflicting existence between two tendencies: the former educated class tried to preserve the traditional values of the classical literature whereas the younger scholars actively absorbed the modern Western literature and gradually moved towards the new literature. Faced with the challenges and opportunities of the time, a Confucian like Tan Da boldly removed the “olds” in the pursuit of the “news”, integrating the Western thoughts into the Eastern wisdom to crystallize a unique and brand new form of literature. His works embraced the depth brought by the Oriental culture and adopted more colors with the Western breaths. Within this modernization process, his efforts to approach modern novels and his tendency to liberalize poetry are two among the most important contributions of Tan Da, opening up possibilities for the next generation of writers as well as helping accelerate modernization in national literature.
- Jakobson, R. (1987). Language in Literature. Harvard University Press.
- Le, T. S. (2020). The concept of conveying the dao through literature and core expression in Tan Da’s poetry. UED Journal of Social Sciences, Humanities and Education, 10 (Special), 152–158. https://doi.org/10.47393/jshe.v10iSpecial.835
- Nguyen, D. D. (2016). Some issues of modern Vietnamese literature (Một số vấn đề văn học Việt Nam hiện đại). Social Sciences.
- Nguyen, H. S., Tran, D. S., Huyen, G., Tran, N. V., Tran, N. T., & Doan, T. T. V. (2010). The individual in ancient Vietnamese literature (Về con người cá nhân trong văn học cổ Việt Nam). Education.
- Nguyen, K. X. (2002a). The complete works of Tan Da (Book 1) [Tản Đà toàn tập (Tập 1)]. Literature.
- Nguyen, K. X. (2002b). T The complete works of Tan Da (Book 2) (Tản Đà toàn tập) (Tập 2). Literature.
- Nguyen, T. P. T. (2014). The tendency to liberalize language in Vietnamese poetry in the 20th century (Xu hướng tự do hóa ngôn ngữ thơ Việt Nam thế kỷ XX). National Politicics.
- Nhat, L. (1961). Writing and reading a novel (Viết và đọc tiểu thuyết). Doi Nay.
- Pham, Q. (2006). Thuong Chi collection of literary works (Thượng Chi văn tập). Literature.
- Phuong, L. (2006). Literary theories (Lý luận văn học). Education.
- Thach, T. G. (1973). Encyclopaedia of analytic literature (Văn học phân tích toàn thư). La boi.
- Thanh, L. (1967). The diagram of Vietnamese literature (the final book) (Bảng lược đồ văn học Việt Nam) (quyển hạ)]. Trinh bay.
- Tran, D. H., & Le, C. D. (1988). Vietnamese literature in the transitional period, 1900-1930 (Văn học Việt Nam giai đoạn giao thời, 1900-1930). Universities and Vocational Schools.
- Tran, D. S. (2014). Literary theories (Book 2) (Lí luận văn học) (Tập 2). Hanoi National University of Education.
- Tran, N. (1998). Vietnam's Han language novels - Categorization and classification (Tiểu thuyết chữ Hán Việt Nam - Danh mục và phân loại). Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Vietnamese Studies (Part 1), 485–495.
- Trinh, B. D., & Nguyen, D. M. (2007). Tan Da - About the author and his works (Tản Đà - Về tác gia và tác phẩm). Education.
- Tsubouchi, S. (2013). The essence of the novel (Chân tủy của tiểu thuyết) (Tran, H. Y., Trans.). The gioi.
- Vuong, T. N. (2003). A discussion of Vietnamese novels from the early 20th century to 1945 (Những lời bàn về tiểu thuyết trong văn học Việt Nam từ đầu thế kỷ XX cho đến 1945). The Writers' Association.