INTERACTION BETWEEN INTONATION AND LEXICAL TONE IN SOUTHERN VIETNAMESE DISCOURSE MARKERS
Corresponding Author(s) : Hoang Dung
UED Journal of Social Sciences, Humanities and Education,
Vol. 10 No. Special (2020): UED JOURNAL OF SOCIAL SCIENCES, HUMANITIES AND EDUCATION
This study based on Southern Vietnamese (SVN) task-oriented dialogues, aims to find evidences of the present of intonation as a grammatical category, as well as the interaction between intonation and lexical tone in monosyllable discourse utterances (discourse markers). The results show that there is little evidence for phonologized boundary tones in SVN discourse markers. This finding would strengthen the claim made by Brunelle et al. (2012) (focusing on Northern Vietnamese) that Vietnamese intonation may not be grammaticalized as it could be in non-tonal languages.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Brunelle, M., Hạ, K. P., & Grice, M. (2012). Intonation in Northern Vietnamese. The Linguistic Review, 29, 3-36.
- Brunelle, M. (2016). Intonational phrase marking in Southern Vietnamese. Tonal Aspects of Languages, 60-64.
- Gussenhoven, C. (2004). The Phonology of Tone and Intonation. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Hoàng, C. C. (1985b). Bước đầu nhận xét về đặc điểm ngữ điệu tiếng Việt trên cứ liệu thực nghiệm. Ngôn Ngữ, 3, 40–48.
- Hạ, K. P. & Grice, M. (2010). Modelling the interaction of intonation and lexical tone in Vietnamese. Speech Prosody 2010, 5th International Conference, Chicago.
- Hạ, K. P. (2012). Prosody in Vietnamese: Intonational Form and Function of Short Utterances in Conversation. Canberra: The Australian National University.
- Hạ, K. P. & Grice, M. (2017). Tone and intonation in discourse management - How do speakers of Standard Vietnamese initiate a repair?. Journal of Pragmatics, 107, 60-83.
- Taylor, H. M. (1962). A phonetic description of the tones of the Hue dialect of Vietnamese. Văn hóa nguyệt san, 74, 1175-1180.